Sunday, February 20, 2005


This is a shot of me shoving the spray train into Dyersdale siding, just east of Houston back in the 1970s. This is how we used to control the weeds along the right of way. I would remain as engineer on this train for an entire week, shoving it all across my division, including branch lines, at about 10 mph. We would stop for the night at a town where the railroad had a lodging agreement with a local hotel. This was back in the days before credit cards were popular, and my crew and I ran out of money at Port Barre, La. We got the crew caller to call our wives, and they each sent us an envelope of cash via the conductor of train #94, the hotshot Houston to New Orleans through freight. My wife handed up my money at Beaumont. The next morning, we went down to the waybill box outside the depot at Port Barre, and retrieved our money. Such was the brotherhood of railroading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home